September 14, 2011

Raising A Jerk

This Sunday I will begin a teaching series called "Parenthood."  I've never preached in "Big Church" about Biblical truths for parenting our children.  Honestly, I'm a little nervous for many reasons - which I won't share with you.


This will only be a four week series but the truth is, I could preach for the entire year on God's principles for parenting.


There is so much I want to share with my people, but we've got other things to study too, so I'm in the process of refining and reducing this series to the essentials.


All that said, one of the things I've cut is a simple, easy to follow, guideline for raising a big, fat, arrogant jerk.


There is a fine line between raising kids who have a healthy self-esteem and kids who are too egotistical.  


So how can you raise a kid with an overinflated sense of self-worth and entitlement?


Here's how you can raise a jerk:


   -Protect them from the consequences of their own mistakes.


   -Make sure that you do for them everything they can do for themselves.


   -Keep them away from anyone who thinks differently than you do.


   -Try to give them everything they want.


   -Tell them over and over again that you just want them to be happy.


   -Convince them that they are more special than other kids.


   -Always take their side when they get in trouble with their teacher at school.


   -Always take their side whenever they are in a conflict with a friend.


   -Keep insisting that they are the best player on the team.


   -Don't give them consistent opportunities to help or serve others.


   -Never require them to do chores at home.


   -Reinforce prejudices about people from different cultures or backgrounds.


   -Sacrifice your relationship with your spouse for the kids.


   -Do not express genuine gratitude to those who help you.


   -Teach them to talk more than they listen.


   -Never let them hear you say, "I was wrong, I am sorry."




Just follow these guidelines and you too can raise an entitled, arrogant, self-centered jerk.


Happy Parenting!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. I'll keep these ideas in mind when I have kids of my own. =)

    ReplyDelete